POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media emission as true light source? : Re: Media emission as true light source? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:12:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media emission as true light source?
From: Neil Conway
Date: 5 Feb 2003 09:45:03
Message: <web.3e412247c7b69b7a1c4fca030@news.povray.org>
Tom Melly wrote:
>Just to muddy the waters... specular reflection of light can be done in POV by
>using photons (like many raytracers, POV doesn't handle specular reflection of
>light easily, since rays are traced from the camera to the light source).

Hmm, I've been hopping to and fro in the docs - must read 'em properly - and
I did read about photons.  I will go back and try to figure out what they
can do for me (and what their limitations are).

In terms of CPU time, it doesn't necessarily represent a problem if this
takes weeks of CPU per picture.  Firstly, I don't need to do it very often,
and secondly, I can always beg some time on our Beowulf cluster (hmm, I
now remember reading that photons don't lend themselves well to clustered
tracing...).

thanks
Neil